updated 27 May 2020
Providers and services may consider implementing the following precautionary measures:
- Avoid excursions. Please refer to Can we take children on excursions? for further details of the limited circumstances in which you can do on an excursion and recommended risk mitigation strategies.
- Minimise visitors to the service, or implement strategies to limit access to the service by non-essential people
- Please refer to Safe Work Australia regarding COVID-19 and physical distancing in education and care services and further advice for Early childhood education and care workers: Minimising the risk of exposure to COVID-19
- Roster access to outside areas or common areas
- Avoid sharing sunhats, dress ups or costumes
- Open windows and adjust air conditioning (if available) for more ventilation
- Promote and maintain strict hygiene in food preparation areas
- Roster meal times to adhere with social distancing measures
- Implement a regular handwashing schedule
- Provide suitable rubbish bins, with frequent cleaning and waste disposal
- Clean and disinfect high touch surfaces regularly
- Support educators to prioritise supervision and hygiene
- Review how you use and clean resources and equipment between uses
- Talk with children and families about your existing hygiene procedures and strategies you’re implementing to provide safe, quality care at this time.
To identify and implement precautionary measures approved providers and services can review information including:
- The Australian Government Department of Health Environmental cleaning and disinfection principles for COVID-19 and Social distancing guidance.
- The Australian Health Protection Principal Committee (AHPPC) on 25 May 2020, issued a statement on Early Childhood and Learning Centres, including its recommendations which can be used in accordance with the previous AHPPC coronavirus statement from 3 April 2020.
- The Australian Government National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) Staying Healthy, Preventing infectious diseases in early childhood education and care services guidance.
- The latest Department of Education advice on https://www.education.tas.gov.au/parents-carers/novel-coronavirus-covid-19/
- The latest advice on schools and education and care services, is available at https://www.coronavirus.tas.gov.au/families-community/schools-and-childcare
- The Tasmanian Department of Health Fact Sheets available on the Tasmanian Public Health website.
We also recommend providers and services consider connecting with peak bodies and networking with colleagues, providers and services across the sector. This may provide you with opportunities to share ideas, suggestions and educators to support ways to mitigate risks and operate safely at this time.
If you have any questions, please contact the ECU on 6165 5425 or via firstname.lastname@example.org or call your point of contact authorised officer directly.